Now that we have skin care out the way, soooo many of my followers ask me about my makeup! Alongside this blog, I will be doing YouTube tutorials to be able to show you what I’m really talking about because while some of us like to read, some of us are more visual learners. Until then, there are a few products that I think are must have’s in my collection. If you really baby your skin like I do, you’ll find you can become more minimal with your make up over time. As my skin takes a turn for the better, I literally have a 10 minute makeup look in case I want to look pulled together yet natural. These are my favorite products that I reach for the most as well as re-buy over and over regardless of all the other make up I have.
Before we get into the actual makeup, my key makeup tool is my beauty blender pro. I have 3 and swear by the pro version. I also own the original pink beauty blender, nude one and the red but please if you never gave the pro beauty blender a try, it will change your life. It’s not the same as the others and definitely worth twenty dollars.
1. My first essential makeup item would be a good color corrector. When I first got into makeup, I didn’t really pay color correction any mind but as I really began to beat my face, it makes all the difference even if your doing a no make-up makeup look, or even full glam. Color correcting will make sure your foundation is going on even and no discoloration is peaking through. There are yellow, purple, orange, salmon and green color correctors on the market for all different purposes but I mostly use orange. The reason I use orange is because while foundation is meant to cover imperfections, things like my dark marks as well as the natural darker pigment around my lips can sometimes try to show. If your under eye circles are really stealing the show, its a great way to cancel them out as well. My favorite orange concealers are the MAC Studio conceal and correct, MAC Studio finish skin corrector (refill option but also sold in a palette) and the L.A Girl Pro Conceal. I prefer the MAC options because they are easier to work with and come in different shades for different skin tones. The L.A girl version is just as good but is a very deep orange so its not beginner friendly or a good product if your heavy handed.
2. Second, please, please please ladies take the time to find a foundation that works best for you! Just because a foundation may look great on one person does not mean it works for everyone! Take the time to gather samples from Mac and sephora to test formulas to see what works best for you. My summer go to has been NARS Sheer Glow. Its medium to full coverage, buildable without becoming cakey, light weight, and has a nice finish. Its not matte or dewy which is great for the summer because it looks like skin. If a 50 dollar foundation isn’t your thing (I dont blame you), a good drugstore option is to mix the l’Oréal pro matte and pro glow. You’ll get the same coverage and same nice finish for way cheaper.
3. A great concealer is also very important. My favorite right now is the Tarte Shape Tape. I prefer a full coverage concealer regardless if I’m doing a sheer layer of foundation or heavy because by altering the amount of concealer you use, you can really control the product. Another favorite concealer is the NARS radiant creamy concealer. I don’t mind investing in concealer because it’s hard to find the right shade with the right undertone at the drugstore. Also, I struggled finding a formula that I really loved. If you have any recommendations, please leave them in the comments.
4. Next is translucent powder. I live and die for my Laura Mercier translucent setting powder. I will continue to repurchase this over and over. It leaves your undereyes so smooth and sometimes I’ll even lightly dust it over my entire face. It’s not drying and also doesn’t alter the color of your makeup like some yellow based powders did for me. I love it. It’s a top holy grail for me.
5. Concerning overall face powder, I have recently became a user of the Laura Mercier Mineral pressed powder. If you have not tried it, please do. It’s so amazing. Its finely mild, and it honestly blurs imperctions while making your makeup look creamy, fresh and smooth. Even if you don’t want to purchase, just swatch it in store. It is honestly amazing. I’m so glad I found this product even though it is pricey lol.
6. Lastly, a important must have is a bronzer. It’s important your bronzer is the right shade, not too orange and not to cool toned and also complimentary of your skin tone. My favorite is the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer mixed with my MAC Prolongwear pressed powder. I mix my brush in both products to create a shade that gives me the perfect bronze but the Too Faced bronzer will add extra depth and a hint of coolness to appear natural.
Concerning all other make up products (highlighters, mascara, blush etc.), there are so many good items on the market that I switch what I use all the time. But with these 6 products, I always know my makeup will come out great. These are those items that I always reach for to get a flawless base no matter what kind of look I’m doing or where im going. If you try these products please let me know if you enjoy them. If not, reach out to me personally and I would be happy to help you find a product that works for you.